VMQG July Block Challenge
Hi Everyone! I hope that you are having a wonderful month. Those of you that were unable to attend our June meeting are probably wondering about our July Block Challenge. It was to make a quilt block in the modern aesthetic with the theme of this year’s VC Fair which is “Boots, Barns and Banjos”!! 🙂 If made according to contest specifications, you can even enter it into the Fair’s official “Quilt Block Contest”. First prize is $25! Here are the Ventura County Fair’s Quilt Block Contest rules:
- The block must measure 12 1/2″ X 12 1/2″ to be eligible for competition. Blocks that do not square up to 12 1/2″ will be disqualified.
- Blocks must be made from 100% cotton. Any technique or pattern may be used.
- Do not prequilt or back the block.
- Name and address must be attached to back of block.
- Quilt blocks will be on display during Fair.
- Entries will not be returned. A quilt consisting of these blocks will be displayed and auctioned at next year’s fair. Proceeds donated to Ventura County Fair Foundation for fairground improvements.
There is also a Ventura County Fair Quilt Challenge you might be interested in. First prize is a $50 gift certificate to Quilt Ventura!!
Here are the rules for the Ventura County Fair Quilt Challenge:
- All quilts must be made of cloth consisting of three layers (top, batting and backing) and must be hand and/or machine quilted. Only finished projects will be accepted.
- The design of the quilt must be an original design. Quilts can be pieced, appliqued or a combination of both and may be embellished.
- Size must be at least 24″ X 24″ nor larger than 48″ X 48″ and may be of any shape.
- Identification label must be sewn to bottom back corner of the quilt.
- You may use any fabric(s) of your choice. The choices should reflect the fair theme – “Boots, Barns and Banjos”.
- Judging emphasizes originality and creativity, visual impact, workmanship and adherence to theme.
Debbie Bayer, from the Home Arts Department of the Ventura County Fair, was our featured speaker at our June meeting. She shared a ton of useful information regarding Fair entries of quilts. Here are some highlights :
- You can enter online through July 15th .
- Intake dates at the Ventura Fairgrounds are July 19, 20 and 21. 10am to 5pm
- There are remote sites for entry drop offs. Debbie asks that you put your quilts along with entry form into disposable bags.
Click here to access the page with the link to the online entry form. On the same page, you can also scroll way down to the “All Other Departments” category and click on the “2013 Home Arts Entry Guide” link to download the guide.
Have a great month!