Hi everyone! Here are our June meeting minutes. I was so impressed with the blocks everyone shared for the challenge this month. They were truly inspirational!
Andrea is new to modern quilting and shared two baby quilts that she made. She is also experimenting with free motion quilting.
Elfriede finds inspiration for her projects while traveling. She loves many forms of art and is an avid knitter. She shared an adorable baby blanket that she appliquéd by hand.
Alissa Haight Carlton:
We are pleased to announce that Alissa gave birth to Gabriel David on Wednesday, June 6th! We are planning to reschedule a visit with Alissa in August.
Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts:
We have contacted Julie about scheduling a possible workshop and eagerly waiting for her response.
Quilt Show and Challenges
California Oil Museum Quilt Show:
Linda Wilkinson is curating the next quilt show at the Santa Paula Oil Museum. She mentioned her desire to include quilts with a modern aesthetic. Linda also indicated that entries are not limited to just quilts alone. She is obliged to display other hand crafted articles such as quilted bags and garments.
Dates: First week of November 2012 – January 2012
Long Beach International Quilt Show 2012:
The Long Beach International Quilt Show will be held at the Long Beach Convention Center.
Dates: Friday, July 27th through Sunday, July 29th.
Visit www.quilts.com for more information
Harvest of Colors Quilt Show 2012:
The Harvest of Colors Quilt Show is hosted by the Coastal Quilters and will be held at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara.
Dates: September 22nd and 23rd 2012.
Time: 10:00pm – 5:00pm
Visit: www.coastalquilters.org for more information
Ventura County Fair Quilt and Block Challenge:
- Quilt /Block Challenge Theme: Rides, Ribbons, and Rodeos
- Block Size: 12 ½ by 12 ½ inches
- Quilt Size: 42 by 42 inches and may be any shape.
- Fair Entry Dates: July 20,2012 – July 22,2012
Quilt Con Block Challenge:
Quilt Con Block Challenge entries are due NO LATER than August 15, 2012 Quilt Con juried quilt entries will open July 01,2012 with a deadline of November 30,2012.
Visit www.quiltcon.com for the official list of block challenge and juried quilt specifications.
Guest Speaker: Karen Anderson Abraham
We are thrilled to announce that we will have the creative and talented Karen Anderson Abraham as our guest speaker for our July meeting. She is a member of the Santa Barbara Modern Quilt Guild. Karen has completed numerous modern quilts, at least two of which were featured on Modern Quilt Guild’s 100 days of Quilting. Her “What’s for Breakfast” quilt (only 33 quilts were chosen) will be displayed at the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at the Houston Quilt Mart in October.
Visit www.bloomingpoppies.wordpress.com to learn more about Karen and her phenomenal quilts.
Maureen’s Quilt Market Re-Cap
Last month, Maureen accompanied Kelly to Quilt Market. Here is a brief overview of all the excitement.
“I was kinda like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ, amazed at everything I saw!”
Some general observations:
- Overall the, the market was dominated by vendors dealing in fabric for traditional or contemporary quilting.
- People at Quilt Market were commenting that there was much more focus on fabrics appealing to modern quilters than ever before.
- It seemed as though the major fabric manufacturers are realizing the money-making potential of the modern quilt movement and are offering products to support modern quilters’ needs.
- The majority of the sample quilts displayed by the large fabric manufacturers were contemporary.
Nautical themed fabric lines with fresh motifs
New solids: Moda and Kauffman have added new colors to their lines
New Prints: Moda ombre line, Moda saturated dot prints and, Kauffman cheater fabric
Legacy fabrics: Denyse Schmidt’s “Flea Market Fancy” and Amy Butler’s, “Gypsy Caravan” are being reprinted.
New Stuff/New Fabric Lines:
- Nancy Zieman’s e-tablet or paper tablet keeper template set.
- Clam Shell Accessory Case
- French Knitter: an i-cord knitter spool that has a larger center tube large enough to allow beads to slide through.
New Fabric Lines:
- Kelly Lee Creel has launched her new line called “Story Book Lane”. She also has also created a pattern for play mats.
- Liberty of London previewed their new line “Liberty Lifestyles” that will be a fabric line for quilters featuring their lush designs on medium weight fabric.
- Blogger Brigitte Heitland launched her new modern line, “Zen Chic” that had an Asian flair. She has also published new patterns.
- Amy Butler: “Cameo”
- Anna Marie Horner: “Field Study” along with new needlepoint and embroidery patterns
- Tula Pink: “The Bird’s and The Bees”, “Nightshade” (Halloween Line)
- Generation Q: Launched their first print issue.
- Angela Walters: Blog- quiltingismyTherapy.com.
- Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts: Julie will soon publish, “Skip the Borders: Easy.
Show and Tell: “Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue.”
For those of you who missed the last meeting, we held a fat quarter swap. The participants swapped a fat quarter of fabric that we ourselves would have wanted to receive. In honor of June being a popular month for weddings, our challenge was to make a quilt block that incorporated, something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue with the swapped fabric being our borrowed item.
Carol shared a quilt top that she had
completed that was entirely pieced by hand using English paper piecing.
June Block Challenge: “Improve with a Limited Palette”
We asked our guest speaker Karen Anderson Abraham to come up with our block challenge for July. She suggested that each participant be given a small selection of scraps. Our challenge will be to sew the scraps in an improvisational manner in a small cluster on a background of white fabric. The dimensions of the finished block should measure 12 ½” X 12 ½ “ Please visit the guild website for complete specifications at www.venturamodernquiltguild.com.
Next Meeting Date: July 9,2012
Show and Tell Gallery