JULY MEMBER MEETING
Date: Monday, July 11, 2016
Time: 6:00 – 8:00pm
Location: Ventura Masonic Center, 482 E. Santa Clara St., Ventura [map]
Building entry: Refer to your email for the entry code
Special things to bring (all voluntary):
- Bring a 12″-18″ ruler, any width — this is for Sarah W’s activity and quilt square challenge.
- Bring materials (see “Orlando Quilt, below) and/or a machine — this is for helping to complete a quilt for Orlando
Orlando Quilt – Mini-Sew-In at Tomorrow’s Meeting
Jenn R is coordinating the creation of a quilt to be sent to the Orlando MQG, who are collecting quilts and blocks for the victims and families of the shooting at Pulse nightclub on June 12. If you want to bring materials (see below) and your machine, the Masonic Center room will be available to us until 9pm tomorrow, so we can get some sewing in during the meeting. We WILL be holding a regular meeting (including Sarah’s activity and quilt square challenge), starting at 6 — the only thing we’re asking, for time’s sake, is that folks hold off on bringing regular show and tell — just bring your challenge blocks (see next item). Members can choose to participate in the main meeting then sew, or begin sewing earlier.
Jenn is asking for the following materials: Two hundred twenty-five (225) 4-1/2″ squares total:
- 104 pink/red, solids and modern patterns are OK
- 121 white/light gray/neutral, solids and modern patterns are OK.
Jenn will bring some fabric markers for writing messages on the squares. (If someone has some strong convictions about their favorite fabric markers, please speak up!)
Please contact Jenn with any questions.
Activity/Challenge from Sarah W
Should be fun! Please bring a ruler, any width, between 12″-18″, for the activity and quilt square challenge for August.
Bring Your Quilt Square from the Line Drawing Exercise
Bring a 12.5″x12.5″ modern quilt block from the activity and challenge from June:
- Choose a design from the handouts provided at the meeting and transfer the design to graph paper to create a 12.5″ block, using an 18″ ruler. Or design your own block.
- Color your design as desired.
- Cut apart all the pieces and add 1/4 inch to each side for seam allowance. Cut your selected fabrics using the pattern pieces.
Row Robin exchange: This is it! It’s time for the quilt reveal! Can’t wait to see what’s been done. More about the Row Robin here
Ventura County Fair Deadline Coming Up FAST: Home Arts submissions (including quilting) must be turned in at the Fairgrounds: Friday, July 22, Saturday, July 23 & Sunday, July 24, 2016 – 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. More
Opportunity Quilt: “Wonk-stellation” is the name. We’ll give a progress update to the completion of the quilt, the drawing date, and other details. We still need a main person to own the process of housing the quilt and getting it scheduled to be shown.
Library: Judy Hunt, Library Chair, has organized the growing selection of books and magazines available to check out for a month. If you have an item at home, please return it at the meeting so that it’s available for the next reader.
Questions about tomorrow’s meeting? Please contact July Chaffee at email@example.com