January Members Meeting
Monday, January 11, 2016
Time: 6pm to 8pm
Location: Ventura Masonic Center, 482 E. Santa Clara St., Ventura (map)
Building Entry: Refer to your email for the code to the building.
- Membership: 2016 membership payment is due in January. $50 for the year. Please see our new Membership Chair Barbara O’Grady at the door. Cash or check joyfully accepted. If you did not get a membership roster at the December meeting, ask Barbara for one.
- Challenge: UFO and Name Tags!
Dig out that unfinished top or unbound quilt and bring it in for the 2016 UFO Challenge. You don’t have to FINISH it by January, just bring it, show it, and promise (in front of everybody!) to get it done in 2016.
For new members there is an added Challenge: Make a name tag in the Modern aesthetic and wear it in January. For the rest of us, find it (it’s probably in the console of your car or in the fridge), and wear it! Check out the inspiration name tags at venturamodernquiltguild.com/challenges
- Philanthropy: Some of you grabbed a dog or cat bed kit to finish, so bring it in to Philanthropy Chair Stacey. We will be giving them out in February to Canine Adoption and Rescue League (CARL). We are also ready for suggestions of charities we could support in 2016. Give the name and contact info of your charity to Stacey so we can review them and vote on which we want to support. Remember, it does not have to be an organization that we give a pile of quilts to, but maybe one that could use a beautiful one for an auction…lots of worthy causes out there we can support.
- Opportunity Quilt: It’s on! We have a FQ of the focus fabric for each member who wants in on the fun. Instructions and timeline will be given at this meeting. You can make more than one block if you really get inspired. Think WAY outside the box on this one.
- Chair position available: When the quilt is done, we’ll need an Opportunity Quilt Chair (AKA “Quilt Mum”) to keep track of, show, and oversee the Opportunity Quilt in general. Adventure! Travel! Meet new people! See Patrice before this Chair position is snatched up!
- Snacks: Oops! We were having too much fun at the December party, we neglected to get a signup going for the January meeting. Help out your new Hospitality Chair, Kathy Price, and bring a goodie.
- Library: Made $23 on the books/magazine sale at the December meeting. Thanks to all who work so hard to keep our beautiful library humming, stocked, and organized! Donate your MODERN books and magazines to Judy Hunt, Library Chair.